Registration, Networking Breakfast & Exhibit Hall Opens
8:15 AM – Opening Remarks
8:30 AM – General Session
On the Grounds of Brooklyn: Brooklyn Real Estate Market Overview
Stephen Palmese, Brooklyn’s star broker who has garnered over $700 million in sales in Brooklyn alone will offer an in-depth look at the New York real estate market. He will discuss the fears and opportunities for owners, investors, developers, and financiers and who is likely to win or lose.
- Stephen Palmese, Executive Vice President, Massey Knakal Realty Services
9:00 AM – General Session
Standing Up for Brooklyn: Keynote conversation with Joseph Sitt
Hear from Joe Sitt, CEO of Thor Equities as he sits down with Paul Massey to discuss why he loves retail space in Brooklyn. Their discussion will feature an in depth look at his recent acquisition of Atlantic Gardens and what he sees for the borough going forward.
- Paul Massey, Chief Executive Officer, Massey Knakal
- Joseph Sitt, Chairman & CEO, Thor Equities
9:45 AM – Concurrent Session – Track A
Food Glorious Food: Restaurant Development in Brooklyn
Brooklyn is known for its eclectic and unique eateries. For the first time in real estate history, we are bringing you the creative young entrepreneurs who are using their restaurants to bring the people to Brooklyn. What attracts different restaurateurs to Brooklyn? What major chains are looking to follow these young brands into the borough? And what creative real estate decisions do small Brooklyn chains use to make their mark on the area?
- Michael Amirkhanian, Director of Sales, Massey Knakal
- David Carrell, Founder, People’s Pops
- Aaron Lefkove, Founder, Little Neck
- David Vendley, Founder, Calexico
9:45 AM – Concurrent Session – Track B
Maneuvering the Tech Triangle: Office Trends and Tenants
Key tech entrepreneurs are making waves in the industry, opening second offices in New York, and in many cases relocating entirely to Brooklyn from the West Coast. The Brooklyn Tech Triangle is attracting some of the most innovative and successful tenants in the country, but what do owners need to grab their attention? MakerBot, Fund Rise, and ToughMudder will gather with the Brooklyn Tech Office Juggernaut 1 Metro Tech, to discuss why new businesses are attracted to Brooklyn, what young growing companies need from in an office space, and how they go about looking for it.
- Todd Korren, Executive Managing Director, Massey Knakal
- Alireza Esmaeilzadeh, VP – Commercial Development & Leasing, Forest City Ratner
- Yusha Hu, Director of Market Development, Honest Buildings
- Dan Miller, Co-Founder, FundRise
- Peter Miscovich, Managing Director, Jones Lang LaSalle
- Alex Patterson, Chief Culture Officer, Tough Mudder
- Mark Schulze, Vice President, Makerbot
9:45 AM – Concurrent Session – Track C
Special Workshop: Highest & Best Use
Your existing building and staff is probably not being used to its fullest potential for marketing. With a lot more time and resources, you could re-develop the property, but what can you do with a smaller budget and a limited amount of time? In this workshop you will learn how to use strategic marketing to get more value out of your existing real estate assets using proven, cost effective marketing methods. Learn more
- Ilana Schwartz, COO, Online Marketing Group
- Don Tallerman, President, Online Marketing Group
10:30 AM – Exhibit Hall
Enjoy a delicious mid-morning snack and refreshments, while mingling and comparing notes with active developers, real estate managers, owners, investors, and capital sources.
11:15 AM – Concurrent Session – Track A
Anything but Williamsburg: What Neighborhoods are Really Emerging
Every conference in New York City talks about how great it is to be in Williamsburg, Dumbo, and Brooklyn Heights… This panel is different and asks: What is happening in the OTHER sections of Brooklyn? Hear from developers from Flatbush, Bed Stuy, Kensington, Crown Heights, and more who can answer burning questions such as: Where is the opportunity in developing neighborhoods? What is the risk? What trends and developments are indicative of an emerging area? Who will be the first to find the diamond in the rough?
- Dave Maundrell, President, aptsandlofts.com
- Aaron Appel, Managing Director, Meridian Capital
- Andrew Barrocas, Chief Executive Officer, MNS
- Jonathan Butler, Founder, Brooklyn Flea/Brownstoner
- Eli Karp, President, Hello Living
- Andrew Kimball, Chief Executive Officer, Industry City
- Alison Novak, Vice President, Hudson Companies
11:15 AM – Concurrent Session – Track B
Let’s Go to the Mall: Retail Power Panel
Some of the city’s most recognizable brands are making a large push into Brooklyn. These include the powerful retailers like Brooks Brothers, Sephora, and J Crew. What is the profile of shoppers in Brooklyn? What areas are retail brands looking to move into? Don’t miss this exclusive opportunity to hear what the retailers want to see from Brooklyn owners and dealmakers.
- Andrew Clemens, Director of Retail Leasing, Massey Knakal
- Lexy Funk, General Manager, Brooklyn Industries
- Jason Kastner, Real Estate Manager, Blink Fitness
- Herb Wetanson, Chairman & COO, Dallas BBQ
- Chase Welles, Executive Vice President, SCG Retail
11:15 AM – Concurrent Session – Track C
Special Workshop: Obtaining Foreign Investment to Fund Commercial Development
The Immigrant Investor Program, also known as “EB-5,” enables foreign nationals to obtain permanent residence through investment made in the United States. The experts from Tarter Krinsky & Drogin will discuss how your company can benefit from this source of inexpensive capital and the best methods to deploy it. Learn more
- Andrew Koerner, Partner, Tarter Krinsky & Drogin
12:05 PM – Concurrent Session – Track A
Bringing Down the House: Multifamily Development in Brooklyn
Listen in on a comprehensive discussion with six of the top multifamily and condo developers in Brooklyn and learn about how they are bringing new product to market. Find out what issues they are grappling with and how they make the economics of new development work in today’s difficult environment. This panel will cover a range of topics including: capital sources, site selection, product choice and design, unit sizes, end user pricing and amenities.
- David Behin, President, MNS
- Boaz Gilad, Principal, BrookLand Capital
- Michael Kaye, Chief Executive Officer, Douglaston Development
- Dave Maundrell, President, aptsandlofts.com
- Charles Schoenau, Managing Director, Insurent Agency Corporation
- Jeremy Shell, Vice President – Acquisitions & Finance, TF Cornerstone
12:05 PM – Concurrent Session – Track B
The Land of Plenty: Public-Private Partnerships
The non-market sectors of education, government, and nonprofits are hotbeds of innovation and leadership development throughout the borough. Hot issues like transportation, economic development, and park expansions are on the minds of all forward thinking developers. During this session, you will hear from key players who influence our government, culture and society.
- Elise Wagner, Partner, Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel
- Purnima Kapur, Director, Brooklyn Department of City Planning
- Miriam Harris, Senior Vice President, New York City Economic Development Corporation
- Shani Leibowitz, SVP – Development & Planning, Brooklyn Navy Yards
- Regina Myer, President, Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Paul Travis, Managing Partner, Washington Square Partners
12:50 PM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
2:00 PM – General Session
A Weather Report: The Political Climate Update
Robert Knakal will give an overview of the current political climate in New York City in this exciting election season. What does 2014 hold for Commercial Real Estate owners, investors, developers, and financiers? Who is likely to win or lose? What dangers lie ahead?
- Robert Knakal, Chairman, Massey Knakal
2:15 PM – General Session
The Innovation Economy and the Future of Brooklyn: Presented by the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership
New York City is now the second leading tech hub in the nation. In order to overtake Silicon Valley in the top spot, the City must plan for the growth of neighborhood-centric tech districts along the Brooklyn-Queens waterfront where the growth of tech-related firms is already being fueled by affordable commercial space, proximity to Brooklyn’s sizable tech workforce, vibrant neighborhoods, and cutting-edge university research. This emerging “innovation edge” is already well on its way in the Brooklyn Tech Triangle of Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, and the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Join us as Downtown Brooklyn Partnership President Tucker Reed discusses ways to help tech and creative companies find the space and resources they need and to further grow Brooklyn and New York City’s innovation economy.
- Tom Montvel-Cohen, President, The Dumbo Improvement District
- Andrea Baker, Managing Director, Made in NY Media Center by IFP
- David Belt, Executive Director & Founder, Macro Sea
- Avi Flombaum, Dean, The Flatiron School
- Tucker Reed, President, Downtown Brooklyn Partnership
3:15 PM – General Session
Living for the City: Brooklyn Power Owners Panel
This session will bring together top investors and developers who have led some of the largest deals in the past year. Learn how they were financed and discover how they are faring against Pro-Forma expectations. Find out how these top players are adjusting their strategies going forward for the remainder of the year and beyond?
- David Pfeffer, Chair – Construction Practice, Tarter Krinsky & Drogin
- Melissa Burch, EVP – Commercial & Residential Development, Forest City Ratner
- Robert Keenan, Sales Manager, Chase
- Douglas Steiner, Chairman, Steiner Studios
- David Von Spreckelsen, Senior Vice President, Toll Brothers City Living
- Jed Walentas, Principal, Two Trees Management Co.
The Massey Knakal Brooklyn Real Estate Summit Afterparty with special guests, THE WAILERS!