7:45 AM – General Session
Registration, Networking Breakfast & Exhibit Hall Opens
8:40 AM – General Session
8:45 AM – General Session
Brooklyn – The Real New York: Real Estate Market Overview
This session will feature a Brooklyn broker and a prominent public figure of Brooklyn to discuss the demographic changes, interest rate uncertainty, transportation initiatives, and property tax challenges, all with a Brooklyn focus. Key questions answered include:
- Are land price hikes here to stay?
- What property tax changes can we expect to see in the next few years?
- People power: what changes for migration into Brooklyn look like?
- Is Brooklyn the exception compared to the rest of New York and the country?
- What larger transportation initiatives will affect Brooklyn?
- Which neighborhoods support growth both for development and the wider economy?
- Stephen Palmese, Senior Executive Vice President, Massey Knakal
- Kyle Kimball, President, New York City Economic Development Corporation
- Tucker Reed, President, Downtown Brooklyn Partnership
9:15 AM – General Session
One Love, One Brooklyn: Keynote Interview
- Alicia Glen, Deputy Mayor, Housing & Economic Development
9:45 AM – General Session
No Sleep ‘Til Brooklyn: Development Power Panel
The housing boom has created a catalyst for development in all asset classes. Learn how these top developers from the biggest projects in the borough projected the value of their office, retail and housing projects. What information gave them the courage for their leap of faith? Key questions discussed include:
- How has Brooklyn changed from back office to front office?
- What strategies are in place to cope with retail demand like Fulton Mall & City Point?
- High competition and high price – are there solutions for developers?
- When is the cost of land going to decrease?
- Rezoning – when will it happen and where next?
- Lots of projects have stalled. How have these developers navigated around delay?
- Are condos the only thing to build to get ROI or is it build to rent?
- David Pfeffer, Partner, Tarter Krinsky & Drogin
- Andrew Barrocas, Chief Executive Officer, MNS
- MaryAnne Gilmartin, President & CEO, Forest City Ratner
- William Macklowe, Chief Executive Officer, William Macklowe Company
- Paul Travis, Managing Partner, Washington Square Partners
10:35 AM – General Session
Brooklyn Hearted: A Fireside Chat on Dumbo Heights
In this session, get the back story and the vision of the $240 million dollar development that features a high-tech campus with a gourmet market, roof deck, pet-friendly spaces, daycare facilities and bicycle storage that aims to cater to tech businesses and new tenants. Learn how it was negotiated, developed and marketed to shape the tech triangle and establish Brooklyn as the place to be to live, work and play.
- Paul Massey, Chief Executive Officer, Massey Knakal
- Asher Abehsera, Founder, LIVWRK
- Dan Bodner, VP – Leasing, Kushner Companies
- Gregg Popkin, Chief Operating Officer, RFR Holding
11:15 AM – Exhibit Hall
Enjoy a delicious mid-morning snack and refreshments, while mingling and comparing notes with active developers, real estate managers, owners, investors, and capital sources.
11:50 AM – General Session
If You Live Anywhere Else, You Ain’t Living! Multifamily & Condo Development Solutions
Supply and demand is a big factor affecting the multifamily and condo developments in Brooklyn after an earlier drop off in dollar volume and number of sales was recorded in February. However, with a record breaking number of closings last year, optimism is high for another one this Fall. What factors will affect a change? Find out from top owners, investors and developer as they discuss:
- Why invest in Brooklyn?
- What areas of Brooklyn are the most active?
- What are you seeing in the rental market?
- What are the challenges in the Brooklyn multifamily market?
- Is there a specific deal you have done that best reflects the trends in multifamily in Brooklyn?
- How long will the rise in construction condos last and is it artificially motivated by the city?
- Will the new townhouse development boom continue?
- Elise Wagner, Partner, Kramer Levin
- Roger Fortune, Vice President, Stahl Organization
- David Heiden, Managing Partner & Director of Loan Origination, W Financial
- David Maundrell, President & Founder, aptsandlofts.com
- Jonathan Rose, President, Jonathan Rose Companies
- David Shorenstein, Co-Founder, Silvershore Properties
12:35 PM – General Session
Have Your Cake & Brooklyn Too: Value Add Strategy Session
‘Industry City, 470 Vanderbilt and the Gowanus Canal Project represent the shift in adaptive reuse and redevelopment in Brooklyn. Hear from the top value add projects who are reshaping neighborhoods and tackling the big issues like:
- What are the solutions to repurposing office buildings in Brooklyn?
- Coping with harsh rent regulation constraints & administration costs to add value and get returns.
- Are ground up condos the only way to go for value adders?
- What challenges & solutions exist in Brooklyn to create multifamily, office and mixed use hubs?
- Rao Mulpuri, Chief Executive Officer, View Dynamic Glass
- David Ennis, Founder & Principal, The Daten Group
- Andrew Kimball, Chief Executive Officer, Industry City
- Stephen Kliegerman, President, Halstead Property Development Marketing
- Seth Pinsky, Executive Vice President, RXR
- William Robertson, Director of Commercial Projects, NBBJ
1:15 PM – General Session
Networking Lunch & Exhibits
2:15 PM – General Session
The History & Influence of the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
Boroughs are shaped by their cultural landmarks and BAM has a reputation as a leader in presenting “cutting edge” performance and cultural flair. In this session the president of BAM will go through the history of this important Brooklyn institution.
- Karen Brooks-Hopkins, President, BAM
2:30 PM – General Session
Playing with Politics in Brooklyn
Robert Knakal will give an overview of the current political climate in New York City as the new administration and city council implement policies that will impact commercial real estate. With the mid-term elections looming, he will also explain the possible threats to the market from Washington policy makers and how that will impact owners, investors, developers, and financiers.
- Robert Knakal, Chairman, Massey Knakal
2:50 PM – General Session
The “In” Outer Borough: Emerging Neighborhoods with Real ROI
Crown Heights could be the next stop for Brooklyn developers with a sizable population, an under utilized mixed-use legacy and potential rezoning on the way. Trailblazing owners and developers will discuss the future of these neighborhoods. Talking points include:
- Do housing types affect initial development (Brownstone or New Build)?
- Can you get 6% cap rates any more in Brooklyn?
- Is this South Brooklyn’s time to shine with Sheepshead bay, Brighton Beach and Coney Island?
- Bed-stuy – How development went from grime to gold?
- Crown Heights – Is it the new jewel in the crown for Brooklyn?
- Green Point vs Gowanus – does transportation really affect development?
- Is vicinity to Williamsburg the biggest factor?
- Gina Mavica, Partner, BakerHostetler
- Brendan Aguayo, Managing Director, Halstead Property Development Marketing
- Jonathan Landau, Chief Executive Officer, Fortis Property
- Jason Muss, Principal, Muss Development
- Joshua Schuster, Principal, DHA Capital
3:35 PM – General Session
Get Brooklynized: How Tech is Shaping the Real Estate of Brooklyn
More & more millennials are moving into Brooklyn. Dumbo also just happens to have the highest concentration of tech firms in New York City. With all this change happening so quickly, being a landlord is exciting and challenging because they are trying to anticipate their future needs. Topics for discussion:
- What has the tech triangle meant for Brooklyn?
- What new technologies you should be aware of and looking to invest in?
- What do the tech companies want in their innovative ecosystem?
- What do developers need to do to ensure Brooklyn remains a tech hub of the future?
- What part should the city & state play to further incentivize growth and solidify Brooklyn’s place as a top tech destination going forward?
- Tim Oberweger, Vice President & Counsel, Fidelity National Title
- Jonathan Butler, Founder, Brownstoner.com & The Brooklyn Flea
- Jack Cayre, Principal, Midtown Equities
- David Ehrenberg, President & CEO, Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation
- Chris Havens, Managing Director, aptsandlofts.com
- Douglas Steiner, Chairman, Steiner Studios
4:10 PM – General Session
Guest Speaker Q & A
4:30 PM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
Join us for the opportunity to enjoy cocktails and hors d’oeuvres and network with fellow owners, investors, developers, financiers and operators.